NPHC Intake Information & FAQs
Mississippi State is home to all 9 of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) historically Black Greek-lettered fraternities and sororities known as the Divine 9. NPHC stands on the principles of brotherhood, sisterhood, scholarship, and service. Chapters promote unity and engage in forums and programming through various activities and functions.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) represents the 9 historically Black Greek-letter fraternities and sororities, also referred to as the Divine Nine. NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
Sororities: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.; Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.; Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
Fraternity: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.; Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.; Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.; Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.; Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
NPHC organizations use variations of a process known as membership intake to gain new members.
Each organization will decide when it will host an intake process. This is typically once every calendar year. The organization will pst flyers and other forms of notifications advertising the interest meeting or rush. Flyers are posted in the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life at least 2 weeks prior to the process or interest meeting.
These processes are discrete. Therefore, you will be informed of the timeline of the process, if you are selected for membership.
The average range to join a NPHC organization is anywhere from $1,000-$3,000 for one time initiation fees. After your initiation dues, you will have to pay semester dues to remain active. These dues range from $75-$300 per semester depending on the organization.
- Chapter programs and events
- Conference participation
- National and regional expenses
- Other operating costs as outlined by the organization
- Earned at least 12 credit hours at Mississippi State (does not include transfer hours)
- Be currently enrolled in at least 12 credit hours
- Earned at least 2.5 MSU grade point average
- Be in good standing with the University
- Attend NPHC Interest Meeting hosted every semester
All organizations have requirements outside of the university’s. These include:
- Recommendation letters
- Community service hours
- Higher grade point average requirement
- Attendance at interest meeting or rush
- See organization's national website for specifics
- Attend Shades of Starkville
- Attend Meet the Greeks
- Attend mandatory interest meeting
- Meet members of the chapters at their events and on campus (advertised on social media, Cowbell Connect, and flyers on campus)
- Research each organization
- Visit www.greeks.msstate.edu for updates and easy access to chapter information